A 1x1 Truck Insurance Quotes logo image that's used on the brand's facebook page.

What does a new entrant do when their registration has been revoked?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) operates a program called New Entrant Safety Assurance Programs to ensure the highest possible level of safety on American roadways. The program serves motor carriers without a domicile in Mexico in the process of applying for an identification number with the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT). This is for the purpose of conducting interstate commerce.

To become a new entrant, you must submit the MSC-150 form entitled Combined Motor Carrier Identification Report. This also involves completing the correct OP-1 form, which you can learn more about through the FMCSA.

New entrants closely monitored for the first 18 months.

The FMCSA expects all new entrants to operate their commercial vehicle safely and follow all regulations that it imposes. This means you must pass regular and routine safety audits. You will automatically fail the safety portion of the New Entrant Safety Assurance Programs under any of these circumstances:

  • Failure to maintain a drug and alcohol testing program, both random and scheduled
  • Using a driver who has refused a drug and alcohol test
  • Using a driver who registers a blood alcohol level above .04 or who did not complete the required follow-up actions after failing a drug screening
  • Using a driver who does not meet medical standards or have a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL)
  • Using a driver who has a canceled, revoked, or suspended commercial driver’s license
  • Not carrying the appropriate level of insurance on a commercial vehicle
  • Not requiring drivers to complete hours of service reports
  • Operating a vehicle that has never received an inspection or is currently subject to an out of service order

Fortunately, you can reapply to obtain new entrant registration if you follow FMCSA’s requirements exactly.

How to apply for new entrant registration after revocation.

If you have received an FMCSA out of service order or notification of new entrant revocation, you can reapply for new registration once 30 days have passed since the qualifying event. However, you must complete each of the following steps if the revocation or out of service order occurred due to a failed safety inspection:

  • Complete and submit an MCS-150 form and check the reapplication box
  • Submit proof to the FMCSA indicating how you have corrected the issues it cited
  • Begin the process of new entrant monitoring again for a period of 18 months

The same criteria apply if you refused to submit to a safety audit with the added caveat of submitting to a new safety audit before receiving your new registration. Lastly, you must apply for new operating authority if the FMCSA revoked your previous authority for any reason.

truck insurance quotes

Make sure you have the right insurance to protect your truck business.

It’s also really important to have the proper insurance for your trucking business. There are a lot of risks out there on the road. Our transportation insurance agents can help you get the coverages you need. Get started with your quotes by filling out our online form or giving us a call. Or, if you’d prefer, you can message us through LiveChat.