A 1x1 Truck Insurance Quotes logo image that's used on the brand's facebook page.

Should the address and company name be the same on MC and DOT?

A common question of commercial truckers and owner-operators is whether their demographic data (address, business name, etc.) must match between various records kept by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Department of Transportation (DOT). Does the DOT information have to match the MC Operating Authority information? The answer to this question is yes. Both federal agencies require uniformity in recordkeeping.

If you need to change the mailing address, principal address, or company name on one form, don’t forget to make the same changes on the other. This is really important, though it might seem like just details. Below is a description of each of the forms that you must ensure always has updated contact information.

Form OP-1, Application for Motor Property Carrier and Broker Authority

This is the form you should complete when applying for an MC number, also known as operating authority. As of December 2015, the FMCSA requires motor carriers to complete this form only when applying for an additional authority. However, the FMCSA requires all first-time applicants to use the Unified Registration System. You must register with official sites sponsored by the FMCSA and not third-party vendors.

Additionally, applicants required to provide proof of financial responsibility must do so by filing it electronically with the FMCSA. Make sure that you have all your paperwork and applications in order for your trucking business.

Department of Transportation (DOT) Number

The DOT issues unique identification numbers to drivers and owner-operators to help monitor their performance and keep public roadways as safe as possible. The number issued by DOT also identifies the vehicle. If you need a DOT Number, it’s really important that you go through the proper process. You will need to apply for a DOT number if you meet the following qualifications:

  • You work as a motor carrier transporting passengers or property in commerce.
  • You routinely travel across state lines when transporting passengers or property.
  • You live and work in one of the states that require intrastate drivers to obtain a DOT number even though the DOT doesn’t require it.
  • You routinely transport hazardous materials.

So, if you need a DOT Number, make sure that you do indeed have that DOT Number. And likewise for your MC Operating Authority.

Make Sure You Have the Proper Insurance

It’s really important that you have the truck insurance you need for your business. Drivers and owner-operators required to show proof of financial responsibility must carry liability insurance at a minimum. This is just one of several types of policies you can find by working with our team. We help you get multiple quotes so you can look into different insurance options. Our goal is to help you get the coverage you need at a great rate.

All you need to do is complete a quote request form. (You can also give us a call or message us on LiveChat if you prefer.) We would be happy to help you get the coverage you need to protect your trucking business from the risks you face out there on the road – our team are transportation insurance agents .


Source 1Source 2Source 3Source 4