Your portal account on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) website provides the information you need to remain compliant, check your own record, and much more. It can certainly be frustrating when you can’t access the system for a variety of reasons. Below are some common causes of difficulty along with troubleshooting tips to get you back on the website.
Make sure you have registered for a Portal Account.
Before you assume that you can’t get into the site, make sure that you have completed the proper steps to register for an account. You can navigate to this link to determine if you already have a portal account. Start by looking for a link labeled To Register for a Portal Account, Click Here. You then want to choose Company User and click the Next button.
When you get to the next page, enter the number issued to you by the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT). You will receive one of two responses:
- If you don’t currently have a portal account, a message will appear stating that no company official currently exists. You will need to hit the OK tab and follow the instructions to register for a portal account.
- If no large box appears with a message after you enter your USDOT number, it will display a company name and the name of its official representative. Seeing this message means that you do have a valid account registered on the FMCSA portal.
How to check your Portal Account status.
To find out the status of your portal account, navigate to the above link and click Forgot Your Password or Forgot Your User ID. You will need to enter your email address if you select the first option and the UID for your account if you choose the second option. You will then receive one of three responses regardless of how you chose to check your account status. These include:
- The system will prompt you to answer three security questions that you set up the answers to previously. This response means the portal recognizes your email address and you have a valid account on file.
- A response displaying a red letter means that the system didn’t recognize your email address or UID. You should try entering an alternative that you think might be associated with your account. Remember that you need to enter the same email address you used when you originally created the account or the one from your most recent account update.
- A response displaying a black letter means that the FMCSA has locked your account. While it’s still valid, you should follow up with the agency to learn the reason and what you must do to unlock it.
Our team is here to help you get the truck insurance you need to protect your business.
Feel free to browse our website or contact us with additional questions. Our team of transportation insurance experts would be happy to help you get the insurance you need to protect your business – our goal is to make insurance easy and help truck businesses save money on their insurance. Get started with your quotes by filling out our online form, giving us a call, or messaging us on LiveChat.