Can I get my own primary liability and cargo if I’m leased to a motor carrier

If you're leased onto a motor carrier, you need to make sure you have the right primary liability insurance and cargo insurance.

Primary liability insurance is the only coverage for commercial truckers mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This is basic coverage and proof of financial responsibility that you must have before you can drive. The purpose of primary liability insurance is to cover claims for bodily injury and property damage that you cause to others while operating your vehicle. It does not cover any losses that you suffer, regardless of who was at fault for causing them.

Read more

3 things to consider before adding a new vehicle to your fleet

If you add a new vehicle to your fleet, consider your insurance coverage.

Adding a new truck, van, or even a company car to your fleet can solve many problems, save you time, and allow you to scale up your operations, provided you are truly ready to make the switch. Before you upgrade, consider the following questions to be sure you are ready and that you will be able to get the best possible return on your truck investment.

Read more

What are hours of service regulations for trucking?

You need to heed the Hours of Service regulations.

Hours of service regulations are designed to keep the roadways safe for all parties, from motorcycles to big rigs, and to help drivers stay healthy and alert. Hours of service rules are defined by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and must be adhered to in all 50 states. Learning more about these important regulations helps protect your business (new fleet owners and drivers in particular need to fully review hours of service rules) and keeps the roads safe for all.

Read more

What insurance coverage do I need to get my truck tags?

The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in every state requires both personal and commercial vehicles to obtain truck tags for license plates on an annual basis. The amount that drivers must pay for these truck tags depends on several factors, including age and type of the vehicle. Just as drivers of personal vehicles must prove they have minimum liability insurance, the same is true of commercial truckers. You will need to demonstrate that you have primary liability coverage to drive a commercial truck as required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Read more

How to evaluate quotes for truck insurance

It's important to evaluate quotes for truck insurance.

Whether you are in the market for dump truck insurance, tow truck insurance, box truck insurance or any other type of insurance for a commercial vehicle, you need to know how to get truck insurance quotes and then compare them. This will help you make a decision about which insurance you purchase. We’ve got some tips and guidelines for evaluating quotes.

Read more

What is the difference between primary liability and secondary liability

There's a difference between primary liability and secondary liability.

Primary liability insurance for truckers is a type of policy they must carry under the mandates of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). It is the minimum insurance requirement that you must obtain when you operate or own a single commercial truck or a fleet of trucks. It provides you and other motorists with a basic level of financial protection in the event of a truck accident.

Read more

What coverages do I need if I lease onto a motor carrier?

If you lease onto a motor carrier, you'll need certain insurance.

One of the first decisions you face as a new owner-operator is whether to operate under your own authority or lease onto a motor carrier. While each option has its advantages and disadvantages, the majority of new truckers opt for the latter. The biggest benefit of doing so is that the motor carrier finds loads for you to transport instead of you having to do it yourself. The company you lease from may also pay for fuel, insurance, maintenance, and repairs.

Read more

Why do I need physical damage insurance if I don’t have a lienholder?

Even if you don't have a lienholder, physical damage insurance is still something you should consider.

Physical damage insurance provides coverage to repair damage to your truck or trailer caused by fire, severe weather, theft, vandalism, and falling objects. It is common for lienholders on truck loans to require physical damage coverage to protect their financial interests if the truck requires costly repairs or cannot be fixed.

The price that you pay for physical damage truck insurance depends on the assessed value of your equipment. Insurance agents typically write policies that charge the trucker a percentage of the value to maintain coverage. Be sure to ask your agent to insure the truck for its current market value as that is what you will receive if you need to make a claim.

Read more

How to save money on dump truck insurance coverage

There are a few ways to save money on your dump truck insurance coverage.

Every business has a budget, and it’s wise to be frugal when it comes to various expenses, including insurance. If your business has a dump truck, you need the right insurance for that vehicle. And there are some key ways to save money when purchasing that insurance. Here are some simple ways to maintain great dump truck insurance coverage while still keeping an eye on the bottom line.

Read more