The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) maintains a company safety profile on all motor carriers. The public can access much of the information contained in the company safety profile through a program called MCMIS Data Dissemination Program. Additionally, every motor carrier can request its own records. The FMCSA charges a fee to access a company safety profile regardless of who requests it.
Information included in a Company Safety Profile (CSP)
The FMCSA maintains company safety profiles in an internal system called Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS). But what’s in the company safety profiles? Each profile includes the following information at a minimum:
- The operation and identity of each motor carrier
- Inspection summaries for the past two years along with individual inspection reports from federal and state sources for the past one to two years
- History of FMCSA enforcement against the motor carrier
- Crash summaries from the past four years, including individual crash reports taken from state sources for the past one to two years
- History of federal safety ratings, educational contacts, and safety and compliance reviews
Maybe you’re wondering where the data or information for the CSP comes from. The FMCSA obtains information to create the profiles from the following sources:
- The MCS-150 Motor Carrier Identification Report
- MCS-63 Motor Carrier Driver Vehicle Inspection Report along with inspection reports submitted by state officials
- Crash reports at the state level
- MCS-32A enforcement reports
- MCS-151 Parts A-D Motor Carrier Safety and Compliance Reviews and Educational Contacts reports
How to order a copy of your Company Safety Profile
Members of the public who wish to receive a Company Safety Profile may do so through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). It has created strict guidelines for those within the transportation system looking to obtain a Company Safety Profile. For example, the FMCSA will only release the report to authorized representatives for the company as listed on the official record with the Department of Transportation (DOT) MCMIS. The agency will only release the profile to email or physical addresses already existing within its system at the time of the request.
It currently costs $20 to receive a copy of the Company Safety Profile. You can mail your payment and request. You can also download a copy of the official request form online. The FMCSA also accepts requests at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you disagree with any of the information contained in your profile, you can legally challenge it through the FMCSA DataQs program.
Update your truck insurance to protect your financial interests
Insurance companies understand that commercial trucking is a profession that entails a lot of risk. Our team of transportation insurance experts strives to provide drivers and motor carriers with as many insurance options as possible so they can get great truck insurance at a great rate. To get started with your big rig insurance quotes, fill out our online quote form, give us a call, or message us on LiveChat.