What hazardous materials require a Hazardous Materials Safety Permit?

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) enforces a program known as Hazardous Materials Safety Permit (HMSP). The purpose is to increase safety for the driving public and commercial truck drivers. The FMCSA maintains a database outlining the types of materials that require truckers to obtain a permit before they can transport them. We include this information below.

Read more

Do motor carriers need to report drug and alcohol test results to FMCSA every year?

When do motor carriers have to report drug and alcohol results to the FMCSA?

No trucking company owner likes to think that drivers will fail a random drug or alcohol screening or cause an accident due to being under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), a program of the federal government tasked with creating and maintaining regulations for commercial vehicles to keep America’s roads safe, has a vested interest in obtaining information about drug and alcohol test results. If you own a trucking company or operate under your own authority, you must be prepared to provide testing or accident records to the FMCSA upon request.

Read more